Friday, November 20, 2015

16th Street vs Marie's Donuts

Robert is an 8 year old PACT student. Last week, mom wrote about using donuts as a jumping off point for a student interest led unit. This week, it is Robert's turn.

Today’s focus is on donuts. I'm studying donuts because I want to open up a donut shop. To learn about donuts,  I went to a whole lot of  donut shops. When I went to the donut shops I got one specific  donut, the maple bar. 

My  favorite donut is the  maple bar .I got a maple bar from two different places to  try  to see which one is better so I can make the best maple bar.  I did this  with 16th Street and Marie's donuts. 16th street donuts looks like a big donut and had a large amount of ......of .....;of FROSTING. I couldn't see under the frosting. Marie’s  had less frosting and was smaller. On, Marie’s I could see through the frosting and see the donut.The donut from 16th street donuts was 66 grams heavier than Marie’s. 

When I tasted 16th street it was more eggy  and yummier than Marie’s which had flavor in it ,but not as good as 16 street donuts. 16 street had way more maple taste.

I tink 16th street’s was best. I learned that you should add more egg and maple stuff to it. I will put LOTS OF FROSTING!!! and topping on donuts in my shop because more people will come and eat them. It would make my shop the most popular because of the best maple bar. Some day come to my shop called  No Nuts donuts  for a maple bar. 


You can find Robert's data here. Robert carefully took measurements of each donut and took a blind taste test. He also explored the attributes of yeast. His next step is to create his own perfect maple donut.

7 comments:

  1. Love the name of your future donut shop. I like the donuts at 16th St and Marie's is amazing, also. I think you could do more experimenting by doing your test with another type of donut. My personal favorite is the chocolate bar and Marie's wins for that one, in my opinion. Good job, Robert! -Karen Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I will serve chocolate donuts, maple donuts, and more at No Nuts Donuts Robert

      Delete
  2. Excellent research Robert! I love donuts but I eat them too fast for a review. Are you making your own donuts soon? I volunteer to help be donut tester!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok you can be a donut taster and so can zack if he wants to
      .robert

      Delete
  3. This is fascinating research. One thing to keep in mind when doing taste tests is that if you eat the sweeter food first, then the second food will taste less sweet than it really is. So you have to randomize the order or cleanse your palate in between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I did take sips of milk between bites of each donut.

      Delete